Daniel in the Lions Den


"Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before." Daniel 6:10

This little man of mine, has grown up so quickly, I fight tears as I stare at this picture knowing that even though it was taken a year and a half ago he looks so much different. What a special heart God has placed into this young man that little does he know he is daily stepping into his calling.

Last night I found myself in the kitchen cooking, baking, and cleaning for what felt like an eternity. My family wanted dinner, and bless my sweet husband he wanted dessert. So here I was fulfilling all the requests that had been made. This has been one of those weeks where I have felt trapped inside my own home. With sick kids this weekend, and a very tight budget these days I haven't been able to venture outside of the house for the last six days. While most of the time I tend to be a homebody, there is a delicate balance that needs to occur to keep me sane. This balance was not happening!!

I was in the kitchen by myself (we had to gate the littles out for mommas sake) enjoying the peace of not having a child grabbing my leg or calling "mom, momma, mom, mom, mom, momma" this little sweet boy bounces (literally bounces) up to the counter and begins to talk. My first instinct was to shush him and send him on his way because I wasn't sure I could focus my brain enough to listen to his soft, fast talk. There was something that stopped me this time, I knew that he needed to spend some time with me and he needed to clear his head.

He began to ask me questions about what I was doing, why did I use this ingredient and what is that for. He wanted to know if there was anything he could do to help. I gave him a few tasks trying to be patient with him as he helped. Once everything was cooking, or chilling and we had a brief pause, he sat down and began this conversation.

A: Mom, I had to read Daniel and the Lions Den last night.
Me: what do you mean? You read out of your bible.
A: Yes, I had to read my bible because I was afraid.

You see there are moments in parenting when you make a choice and sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not. The day before we had made a decision and it turns out wasn't the best. The A and E were bored while the G and N were napping so daddy pulled out movies. A thought he'd like to try watching Jurassic Park we didn't make it half way through the movie before momma could see that it wasn't going over very well. It was one of those not the best outcome moments.

Aiden went on to explain that he remembered the story of Daniel and how he faced his fears. While Aiden didn't go into great detail of how he knew this story could help. I could understand what he meant. Daniel knew that by praying to God he was disobeying a law, he knew the consequence of continuing to pray to God. Daniel was facing his fears (the Lions) and was going to rely on God to help him through. Aiden couldn't keep the bad dreams from coming so he grabbed his bible and knew that God would come to him just as he did for Daniel. He even admitted he was unable to finish reading because he had fallen asleep. So there at the counter he sat and finished reading the story of Daniel.

What a proud moment for Eric and I as parents to know that our son knows his heavenly Father. To know that He will calm fears and bring peace. I am so thankful for that moment with my boy. What a blessing he is.

Comments

Popular Posts