Lent

I have normally not really participated in Lent. There would be discussion on it in the church and in my house but I never really felt the need to participate. I guess I just assumed it was more of a catholic tradition and I didn't really need to do it to prove I was a christian. In all honesty I don't think I really understood the meaning.
I have been faced with many difficult situations in my life and every time God has seen me through them. In the last seven months I have been taught some very valuable lessons. Ones that I would rather not have had to learn. I am understanding more about who God wants me to be as a wife and a mother. He is teaching me patience in a way that I will never forget. I have learned what it means to be humbled. I have also learned the power of forgiving and how relationships can be repaired. God has been so good to me and I have not been who he has asked me to be. It laugh now looking back at the signs and situations that God had placed before me to show me who he wanted me to be, but instead I ignored and tried to do things my own way. Why do we have to be so stubborn? I am sure that there will be more lessons to learn in my life and some may have to be repeated....just like children. (as a matter of fact I just had to stop my writing to teach yet another lesson on sharing...to Erin and Aiden)
So after all of that I have decided that this is a good year for me to start celebrating Lent. I wanted to give something up that would be noticeable for me. Something that wouldn't be so easy to do. I sure picked a good one. It may not be a struggle for some people but it is for me. I have an addiction to Soda. I have at least one a day sometimes two. It is an energy boost for me. I crave that caffeine. I started yesterday and it was the most miserable day I have had in a long time. My head started to hurt around lunch time and did not go away until I fell asleep that night. I was so glad that Eric was off yesterday because not only did he help with the kids but he helped me fight the urge to give in to a soda. It really is funny when I think about it. All day long I was trying to rationalize in my head that it would be OK for me to drink one, that giving up soda may not have been a good idea. I even started to think....what if I just have one more today and then start tomorrow. I was getting desperate. At the end of the day I knew I had chosen the right thing to give up because it something I think I need but don't at all. It will definitely be a way for me to rely on God to get me through the days. It may sound silly to some, but it is going to be hard for me. To quote blog I read this morning "...this is the least I can do compared to what he has done for me. " (Thanks for the reminder Heather)

Comments

Popular Posts