Broken crayons



Hey Friends!! Sometimes I take pictures for the sole purpose of posting on facebook. I like to share my humorous, frustrating, or even embarrassing moments on social media. I have two reasons for this:

1. I have said this before but honest to goodness sometimes facebook is my only adult contact during the day. 

2. I like to be real and I hope that my being honest about our life and all its imperfections will help others to know that we are all navigating this crazy life together and no one gets it right all of the time. 

Back to the broken crayon....here’s what my post would have been:

“Three days into homeschooling and Owen has broken one of his brand new crayons. Broken Crayons give me the same feeling that I get when I see my children mixing the play dough colors.” 

And I probably would have followed it with a hashtag like #ithrowthebrokenonesaway #nomoregreen #skeltonfamilycircus

But....

I didn’t post that because as I held that broken crayon after the picture was taken I started to think deeper. I know...hold on to your hats people its about to get REAL! (If you can hear my voice I’m sure you can hear the sarcasm and slight chuckle) 

The crayon is broken and my first instinct is to throw it out. Truth be told, as I prepare for each school year I usually take a day and go through all the crayons and throw out the broken ones. I don’t like broken crayons they aren’t as pretty as the whole crayons. Broken Crayons can’t be put back together the same way again. 

Except here’s what I learned while holding that crayon. Crayons even in their brokenness can still do what they were created to do. Broken crayons can still color.

Friends I have been broken before, more than I care to admit. It was in those moments of brokenness though that I was able to cry out to my Heavenly Father for help. He didn’t look at me and throw me away. He picked me up and held me through it. Friendships have been made, hearts have been healed, relationships have been mended all out of brokenness. It’s interesting because just like that crayon, I could still do what I was created to do even in my brokenness.

“The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalms 34:18

It might be just me but I kind of think we come out of brokenness just a little better. Look at that crayon now it has four ends to color with.

Don’t be afraid to be a broken crayon, you can still do what you were created to do, maybe even better!! 


Be blessed!

Love, 





Comments

Popular Posts